Friday, April 19, 2013

TN trip and random updates

Well we are back from Tennessee! It was and interesting trip, to say the least. We had a great first half to our trip, but the last half wasn't so good. 

We got there Thursday night and went to bed because we had to be up early to make the drive to Jackson. Mitch and I got up at 6, got ready and made the hour and a half drive to Jackson. It is located in he middle of Memphis and Nashville. We got there and Mitch had to go to his part of preview day. He was there until noon and he learned so much. It was neat to see him when he got out and how excited he was. It just reaffirmed what he wants to do. He talked on and on about their program and how he really liked it. While he was in that, I drove around and explored the town. 


headed out to explore jackson

It is actually a very neat place. I was expecting it to be smaller and not much there. I was wrong. It is big and has a lot going for it. We both fell in love with the town. We went on a tour of the campus and it was very different than we thought, but once agin we really liked it. It is very very similar to OBU, where we went to school, but the campus setup isn't. It's bigger and is a lot more spread out. But the core values are the same and they line up to what Mitch wants in a school. He loves that it is a Christian based school and they incorporate that into their education. He always talks about how in the field he is going into, not everyone/school has the right motives. And this being a Christian school and him being taught about it in a Christian perspective makes a big difference. He will apply this week and they do not hold interviews until December. So it will be a waiting game. We know God has a plan and place for us and we don't know if this is it, but we are just excited to start this new journey. 


Union University

After that we went to eat at this place call the Old Country Store and it was your typical southern meal. I was in heaven! 


We wanted to leave Saturday so we could get back and we had a tee time at 1 on Sunday. We have bought SO many groupons for golf and we have to get them all in before they expire. So we were planning in leaving around 2 or 3 on Saturday. Well we ended up leaving at 11 just because we were all ready to be back home... And good thing we did! About 45 miles east of little rock, about 1pm we had a blow out. It was awful. So we pulled over and thought okay we will get his changed and be on our way. We were on I-40 and if you have ever been on this stretch it is crammed packed with semis and we were pulled of right around a curve so to say we were in a bad spot would be an understatement. But right where we pulled off we noticed a cop and a road side assistance truck about 50 feet ahead of us. We were so relived and they drove right over to see if they could help. The road side assistance man said he monitored that stretch of the highway so of this does happen, he is there to help get people on their way as quick as possible, since it is such a bad spot. We were all relived he was there and also that the police was there to park behind us so the semis would move over. the police also told us to not stay in the car, but to stay back off to the side of the road. 



So about an hour has gone by and they still hadnt got the tire changed. I was off on the side of the road with Bella and Mitch's mom and with all the semis going by we could not hear anything the guys trying to change the tire were saying.  SO finally i walked up there and to make a long story short- i guess some cars have "locked" lug-nuts, and you have to have a special key to get them off. Well they had turned the car upside down trying to find this "key". They could not find it and they could not get the lug-nugs off, therefore they were not able to change the tire. So we called Acura roadside assistance (we were in Lisa's car) and they said they would not bring us a key since we were 45 miles away from the closest Acura dealership but they would call us a tow truck. We did not want to do this, but we had no other option. So by this time it was about 2:15pm and they said the to truck would arrive to get us at 3:15. None of us were happy that we had already been out on the side of the road for an hour and now we had to wait another hour. Well we made the best of it and about 2:50 we decided we would call the tow truck company that was on their way to get us and see how far they were. Well after talking to them for about a minute, we noticed they were not anywhere near us. SO to make another long story short- the Acura dealership gave the tow truck company the wrong address. Needless to say- we were furious. We had been on the side of a dangerous interstate with three people and a dog! So they sent us another tow truck and he finally got there around 4pm. Then we had a 30 min drive crammed in a tow truck with no air. It was awful and Bella was not having it ha! 



So we finally made it to a tire shop in Little Rock and they had the "special key" to get our lug-nuts off. But they didn't have the tire we needed and they told us not to drive all the way home to Bentonville on the spare. So in the mean time- Mitch's dad has been calling every tire shop from where we were all the way to Conway. And there was one tire shop in Conway that had the tire we needed, but said we had to get there by 5:15 at the latest in order for them to put them on. Well wen we left the tire shop in Little Rock we knew we were not going to make it but we wanted to try. I mean we had no other option. So we pulled in to the tire shop in Conway and it was 5:55 and they were literally walking out and locking the doors to go home. We were devastated. But we got out and told them what we had been through and begged and begged  ha! Well it worked and we got new tires!!! And since all 4 men were there to work on one car it only took them 15 min and we were on our way home. So we left Memphis at 11, thinking we wold be home by 4:30 or 5:00 and we ended up getting home around 10pm. It was the longest day ever!! 

We ended up not going back to Tulsa that night and we stayed in Bentonville. We were so tired and even though it is only a 2 hour drive home- we couldn't do it. We got up and early the next morning and drove home. We had a tee time at 1 and so we spent the afternoon on the golf course. We got done around 5:30 and went to eat mexican! 


we were happy to be golfing, but it was crazy windy!

So that was our crazy weekend. We loved getting to see the school and are so excited to see if this is where God takes us. 

This week has been crazy at school and I can say I am so thankful it is Friday! We had our state testing all week and it was exhausting. We are also on the countdown to the last day of school! We only have 25 days left... can you believe it!?! I was telling Mitch today, I am so looking forward to summer and having this break will be awesome, but I am truly sad for the last day of school. I can honestly say I love going to work everyday and I know I will miss it. I can not wait for all the fun trips and things we have planned for the summer, but I wish when I got back I was going back to these kids. They have captured my heart and I love each one of them like my own. I saw this on FB the other day and thought to myself that is me and it it so true.




Mitch is working all weekend and I have nothing planned but a baby shower on Sunday afternoon. I am really looking forward to doing nothing. 
We are 9 days from our half marathon and my nerves are kicking in. I have been training since december, but I haven't followed it to a tee. I think I am ready, but mentally I don't know if I will ever be ready to run 13.1 miles. Ha. I have lots more motivation since Boston, but still I hope my body holds up. I have been having back issues this past month, nothing serious, and this week my ankle has been bothering me and I was limping all day at work on Wednesday. Well when I got home I took off my sock and it it was swollen and bruised. It is still like that and tomorrow I have a 10 mile run-so we will see how it goes.  But we got our green laces and red socks and are ready to run next Sunday morning! We have so much more to run for now. 




Hope y'all have a good weekend!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment