Sunday, February 15, 2015

Valentine's Weekend Getaway

This valentine's day was a little different than our past valentines, but none the less it was perfect. I am so thankful I'm married to a wonderful guy who puts other first and portrays Christ's love throughout our marriage. We normally do the whole flowers, chocolates and fancy dinners. And don't get me wrong I love all that! We normally don't go eat super fancy places on a normal basis, so special occasions Mitch always out does himself! He works so hard to make me feel like the most special girl in the world and I couldn't be more thankful for that.


This year, we decided to forgo the flowers and fancy dinner and take a trip to Nashville. We knew we didn't have the funds to do both and we thought a trip would be more fun. And Mitch knows I would choose a trip over material gifts any day. So Friday morning we left for Nashville. I love we are only 2 hours away and it really doesn't seem like a far drive. I feel like we have spend more time exploring and doing fun adventures in Nashville than in Jackson, but I guess thats because we both love the city. 

So anyways Friday we got there and just hung out in Nashville all day. We had fun shopping and then we went and picked up our race packets, which leads me to my next story. 


My best friend Elizabeth and I love to run races together. We try to meet up and run a few races together each year. Well this year one of our races was the Hot Chocolate Run in Dallas. Well when it got closer I realized it was the weekend after we were getting back and settled in TN after being for for 2 months, so as much as I wanted to do it, making the drive back a week later wasn't going to happen. So long story, she ran it by herself and called me immediately called me and told me I had to do it and it was the best race ever. I was sad I didn't get to do it and I knew it is not offered but in a handful of cities across the US. So for fun I looked it up and saw their was one in Nashville. I got so excited and then realized it was only 5 days away. I knew we probably wouldn't get everything together but mentioned it to Mitch anyways. To my surprise, he was all for it and wanted to make it a weekend trip for Valentines..so thats how our Valentines weekend getaway came along. I don't think he was as excited about the race, but it was so sweet how he "got excited" and did it for me and i'll talk more in a minute, but we both had a great time!

Back to Friday night we went to The Pharmacy, it is a famous burger joint in Nashville and it is seriously the best! There are a handful of restaurants in Nashville that I would recommend and this is at the top of the list. It's nothing fancy but oh so good! We spent the rest of the night hanging around downtown and then crashed since we had the race in the morning.




So not only was the race early on a Saturday morning, but the temp was in the teens when we woke up. We had to get up at 5 and be at the race by 6. It was freezing, but when we started running it actually wasn't bad. The temp warmed up and the sun came out and we had a great time. Now the best part about this race, when you finish you get a massive mug of all things chocolate. 

best reward for running a race

You get hot coco, chocolate fondue and everything you can think of to dip in it. It was seriously the best race I've ever ran in. Also, if the chocolate wasn't good enough this was the best organized race I have ever been to. I always critique races because usually you pay a lot to run and I feel like you don't get what you paid for. This one was so different. You got a NICE thermal jacket (we haven't taken ours off) and all the water and Gatorade you want. If you are a runner and have been to races where this is lacking, you know this is a huge deal. Also at all the stops, they had chocolate treats!! So if you get a chance to run this race, I highly recommend it.


freezing but so worth it!


If you can't tell, I was pumped about this chocolate mug

After the race, we enjoyed our chocolate treats and then went back to the hotel to shower and get ready for our day. We spent all morning in Nashville and then Mitch took me to a nice lunch at Alegria. It was an upscale Mexican restaurant that was so good!! 


we love Las Paletas!

We did a little more exploring, of course got popsicles from Las Paletas and then headed back home. But of course I have to mention- while we were in Nashville I was supporting some of my Rustic Cuff collection. I thought since I talked about it last post, I wouldn't share a picture. It seriously is the best addition for your outfit and they come in every color so you can wear them everyday!! 


We had plans to make this big dinner at home, chicken lasagna and chocolate covered strawberries. Well we were still so stuffed from our lunch, we decided not to cook the dinner. It is a very long and involved process and also a very heavy meal. But we didn't skip out on making the chocolate covered strawberries! 

Okay, so they weren't pretty but they were delicious! 

So we had a nice relaxing night at home and exchanged gifts (we kept it small) and enjoyed chocolate covered strawberries and we might of watched serval episodes of New Girl. If you haven't watched this show it is hilarious!!! And it's only a 30 min show so on Netflix its even shorter. 

Starbucks, chocolate and a monogrammed Yeti mug. He knows the way to my heart!

It was a perfect weekend, but now we are back to reality and Mitch has been studying all evening. I am currently wrapped up on the couch watching Parenthood (another show I love and recommend) waiting on the snow. I guess we are expected to get lots of ice and 5-7 inches of snow. We will see what actually happens. I hate cold weather, especially when it gets this cold, but I do like a good snow. I am not all about snow all the time, but once or twice a year I do like a good snow and since we havent had much this year, I'm okay with some snow! I am thankful I don't have any sub jobs lined up, I am looking forward to being home and enjoying the snow from my couch. Also, last week I subbed several times and their were ONLY 3 kids in my class all week. All the rest had the flu and one day one of them went home at lunch with a 102 degree fever. So I feel like my immune system could use a break.

Lysol- my new best friend

Hope y'all stay safe warm in this crazy snow storm!

No comments:

Post a Comment